Anschutz Medical Campus commuters advised to check for detours
by Andy Gilmore | University Communications
Construction work around the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus will likely mean some traffic tie-ups beginning June 25, 2014.
The extensive construction work is being carried out by outside contractors in support of a number of exciting projects for the Anschutz Medical Campus and the surrounding community. The work includes the construction of the VA Medical Center and the introduction of the RTD light rail network on the east side of campus.
Montview Boulevard will be closed between Victor Street and Fitzsimons Parkway June 25 through July 25, 2014 as part of the VA project. Once complete, this work will provide better access to Fitzsimons Parkway with two right turn lanes.
Ken Neeper, manager of infrastructure development in facilities management advises commuters to expect delays on the east side of campus and to check for detours. However, he also wants people to remember that the temporary disruptions will be beneficial in the long-term.
“Once complete, this work will aid with traffic flow and provide better access around the university. The benefits of the light rail system are huge as it will provide rapid transit access to the campus that will not be impacted by roadway traffic delays,” said Neeper.
Construction of the VA will lead to a number of other traffic detours in the coming weeks and months:
- The intersection of 17th Place & Wheeling will reopen June 25, 2014 after the installation of utilities
- June 23, 2014 to June 30, 2014 City of Aurora will be replacing curbs and gutters on Montview and expects single lane closures.
- The City of Aurora will be repaving Montview beginning August 1. 2014 through August 15, 2014.
- 17th Place between Fitzsimons Parkway and Wheeling is closed until July 2015
- The VA Medical Centre is scheduled to open in spring 2015.